Monday, January 16, 2012

The Fierce Urgency of Now

On this day of days, I believe it is important to look with a critical eye at where we've come from, and where we are.  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy will always top my list of people I would sit down to dinner with if I could.  I don't have questions for them, I just want to be in their presence.  I want to be lucky enough to hear them and see them with my own eyes.  And I wonder so many things...  

What would they think of where we are now?  Would they be proud?  Would they be ashamed?  What wisdom would they have to impart to us, to inspire us to keep dreaming, keep hoping and keep fighting for a better world?  

Death has fantastic romantic power.  These men were just people - extraordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations.  But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what weird quirks they may have had.  It doesn't really matter what questionable decisions they may or may not have made in life.  The thing that matters is that despite the changes that have occurred since the 1960s, their words still inspire. Their motives still ring true.  Their ideals still drive us to become better.  As people.  As a country.  




We are lucky to have been blessed with their presence.  
And should my dream dinner come to fruition... I'll have the chicken.  

1 comment:

  1. I saw Robert Kennedy at a campaign event in 1968 not too long before he died. I was thrilled and honored to be in his presence.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...