Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lazy Weekend...

Just what the doctor ordered.  After any holiday or break from school, it's always a little (ok a lot) hard to get back into the swing of things.  So - after all's said and done - while I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, it was a good weekend.  Full of lots of fun, lots of laughs, some good food, a scary movie and plenty of kitten cuddles.


Friday nights are typically reserved for some low key fun with my friends Raegan and Dana - but this week was super exciting.  Our favorite little hole in the wall Chinese place closed its doors a few months ago.  We were SO upset.  It had been around for decades and had some truly great stuff.  I completely judge a Chinese restaurant on the quality of their crab rangoon and wonton soup.  And this place was A1 Awesome.  But!  We found out Wu's Garden has returned... under new management, a new(ish) menu, etc...  but still.  The food is definitely different, but still quite good.  Yes. To. This.


 Now, actual weekends have been tough for me for a while.  Sure, I get to laze around the house, and the weekly chores and errands get done, but it's darn easy for me to become such a sloth.  Lame, but true.  If there are advanced plans - heck yeah I'm there.  I'll even get up crazy early!  But... the internal motivation for the mid-day solo jaunts has been tougher to find.


I'm not a big fan of the fact that this winter has been really warm.  I'm a four-season girl, through and through.  It bothers me immensely that I didn't have a white Christmas (It wasn't even brown - it was green!).  But who am I to neglect such a gorgeous day? So Saturday, despite the suddenly deep rooted desire to become one with my couch, I ventured out and traipsed around the Manassas Battlefield for the last few hours of sunlight.  I took just a short trail - a little over a mile - but stopped to take loads of pictures with my new camera as the sun just started to go down.  It was beautiful.


In an area where everyone seems to be hustling from here and there and rushing to impress each other with every step taken, it's such a blessing to have this retreat so close to home.  I can't wait to explore more of the trails.  It's such a huge area, and I've seen so little of it in the five years I've lived here.  Time for that to change!
So much of the area I live in and around used to be forest.  But development takes its toll, and most of the wooded area has long ago been turned into suburban sprawl.  I'm a huge fan of trees - if I could live 300 years, I'd plant Burr Oaks every day and watch them grow tall and strong and knotted.  Stately.  It's the same feeling I get when traveling down an open expanse of highway in Nebraska - where you can see for miles in every direction.  It's so quiet.  Serene.  I find it incredibly comforting.  And it was just what I needed.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...