Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Louboutin Lesson


Today, I saw my first pair of Louboutins in real life.  And I have to say, it was a bit surreal.  I'm not a big label whore, but I have to say - one little glimpse of those glorious red soles was enough to render me instantly impressed.  They're iconic,  and by extension, so become their owners.  

But... the owner of these fabulous shoes is a pretty normal gal.  She's just a normal gal with some amazing taste and a wardrobe full of high budget items.  I know this woman.  She's not independently wealthy.  She's got 5 kids and a husband and loads of real world stress.  She just handles her business... well... dramatically differently than I do.  

And that is a cryin shame.  

I've gotten into this kind of crap habit of accumulating for accumulation's sake.  Especially when it comes to clothes.  I spend a lot of money on cheap items.  And it shows.  Not only do they not look amazing, they don't hold up well at. all.  

My one of my work friends recently had an interview before we met for lunch.  She rolled in looking nothing short of amazing in her suit and heels - very professional, but very much still herself.  
It made me think of my last interview outfit - that skirt I've had for years - bought on a super sale and worn so much the lining on the inside is literally in shreds.  The blouse - I love it, but let's get real.  It is loved to the point of misery - and even at it's best... it was from the Target clearance rack for a whopping $4.  

There's no shame in a bargain, for sure.  But isn't fashion supposed to make you feel confident?  I want to be excited by what I see in my closet.  I want to be proud of what I'm wearing and I certainly don't want to have the conscious thought of "I wonder if this looks as homeless as I currently feel?"  Which, sadly, has happened on more than one occasion in the last month.  I'm certainly not one to demand fancy brands or labels or anything currently popularized by fashion mags and the celebrity types.  I spent the vast majority of my life wearing vintage odds and ends and loving every bit of it.  But somehow, I've grown out of that.  And it's time for that to change. 

It seems I'm really good at being a cheapskate - on the things that are worth spending money on.  I've been working out with shoes that were killed dead at least 2 years ago.  I haven't gotten a haircut in months and my highlights are in desperate need of touchups.  And let's not even begin to discuss my shoddy jeans situation.  My infallible logic?  Well, all of these items are pricy.  Obviously.   So clearly, to add to the logic, I simply buy cheap versions that have to be replaced 4 or 5 times within the lifespan of the real deal.  And from a smart girl, that's really dumb.  I'm just too darn old and, dare I say it, successful to walk around looking or feeling like I look homeless.  

I decided to take the plunge and make that commitment to myself.  Because I deserve to spend money on myself in a way that's going to make me feel good about me.  And as much as I love me some Target - well, it seems that just may not be the way.  It's all about taking the little steps - not wasting time and energy looking for fillers, but looking and saving for the quality items that I love and that will last.  

First on the list... new running shoes.  
Next month...  new haircut?  I think so!

It's all about baby steps.  After all, whilst rocking 5" Louboutins, I imagine long strides are pretty much out of the question.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...