Saturday, April 21, 2012

On The Bright Side... Good things

Happiness is...


1.  Inexplicably amazing television:  If I could only watch one television show from this moment on, it would undoubtably be Deadliest Catch. I have no explanation for this, but I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame.  It is so intense and there is just something about it that I find fantastically compelling.  It is the one show I will actually rearrange my schedule to catch and have on more than one occasion wasted away entire weekends watching the same marathon I've seen 5 times already.  It is love. 




2.  Simple food:  breakfast  - oatmeal with blackberries and walnuts; simple cabbage salad with broiled chicken and roasted naan; homemade chicken soup and toasty cheesy bread.  Simple.  Satisfying.  Delish. 




3. Kitten cuddles: The weather has been weird lately.  Very schizophrenically springtime.  This week's temps have bounced around from 40 - 90 degrees and back again.  And as a result, the kitten has been surprisingly cuddly.  For the first time in years, Melo actually crawled inside the covers and snuggled with me as I read in bed.  This used to be our m.o.  In my chilly apartment in the depths of the Ukrainian mid-winter, every evening was marked with an under-the-sheets snuggle-fest.  As she's gotten older, she's gotten moodier and decidedly less snuggly.  It makes me sad sometimes, but when it does happen... ahhh....  those moments are golden.   It was the quietest, calmest, happiest hour of my week.  




4.  Def Poetry Jam:  One of my favorite lessons of the year is the day I introduce my students to slam poetry.  It is one of my most favorite things and for as long as I was able, Def Poetry Jam was my late-night Friday HBO obsession.  I adore the hodge-podge of inspirations, styles and creative personalities gathered there every week and it makes me so sad that the show is no longer on air.  



5.  Reconnecting with friends:  Loads of my friends are out of reach.  We live so far away that reconnecting is difficult.  But the friends that are right around the corner have been feeling far away too lately.  It's a busy time and schedules just haven't meshed lately.   But I've missed them.   For the past few years we'd had a standing Monday and Friday night gig - dinner at their house on Monday, dinner and nonsense after work on Friday.  And this week, we finally were able to come back to this after just too long away.  We spent hours talking and eating and laughing until our faces hurt.  Just what the doctor ordered.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...