Monday, May 7, 2012

Hug it Out

I've spent a good portion of the past couple weeks bouncing off the walls of my life.  Limbo is not a place I really want to be, but here I am.  Sitting on the verge of two different places, not knowing what is coming, and ultimately waiting for yet another shoe to drop...  sucks.  For all of my bouncing, nothing has been accomplished.  Nothing but stress and agitation.  I've grown sick of my own thoughts.  I am left a raggedy soul, indeed.  


But there are lessons to be learned here.  Little things add up.  Tiny ideas grow into big ones.  And eventually, inspiration has the power to heal the grumpiest of moods.  Bit by bit, little by little.  It's the teensiest things that soothe.   Of course, homemade soup and hot yoga's miracle properties cannot be understated.  


Tortellini, White Bean, and Spinach Soup.   Wholesome and hearty, packed full of veg and light enough to go back for seconds.   Forcing me to slow down and appreciate the little things, it is soothing indeed.  A reassuring hug in a bowl.  If only I could hug it back...  



Tortellini, White Bean and Spinach Soup
from Lindsey at Linden + Rosemary

1 t. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 of a red pepper, diced
1 t. dried thyme or basil
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
2/3 c. water
1, 16 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
2 c. chicken broth (low sodium preferred)
1, 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1, 14 oz. can quartered artichokes, drained
1, 9oz. package uncooked fresh cheese pasta from the refridgerator section of your local market.  (the originating recipe calls for tortellini.  My market was lacking, so I bought ravioli instead and it was delish). 
2 c. fresh spinach, coarsely torn
fresh parmesan to taste

Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper, and garlic.  Saut√© 5 minutes or until tender. Add water, beans, stock, tomatoes and artichoke hearts.   Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer ~2 minutes. Add tortellini and cook until thoroughly heated and plumped slightly. Stir in spinach minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with fresh parm and enjoy with friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...