Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Trees for the Forest


One of my favorite things about that book I've been reading lately is the protagonist.  She's fiesty.  Independent.  Savvy in all things that require dedication, perseverance, sacrifice.  But most of all, the one thing that I just can't shake about my fictional little heroine, is she never loses sight of what's important.  She never fails to see the forest for the trees.    


I'm not sure why, really, but that is the one thing at which I am truly worst.   It is a most annoying trait.  I'm really good at looking at the big picture.  In my mind's eye I can see what I want, what I need to do to get there, my responsibilities to ensure that the dreams become realities.  It's all very intellectual.  However.  What doesn't really work in the long run is the fact that I seem to have an inane inability to connect the little pictures together into one big one.  Details, it seems, are not my bag.  


So while not too long ago, I made a commitment to myself to splurge a bit and do things that will make me feel good and to spend wisely on quality... well, I feel it's time to make an important amendment.   You see, for a long time, I've had it in my head that I was fairly poor.  Yet, I've failed to live that way.  I've lived reasonably cheaply, but not wisely.  I tend to put off things that are important and jump at the chance to do things that are sporadic.  


As I sat in the auto shop today for my unexpectedly and surprisingly spendy three hour oil-change-turned-major-repair-bill-and-a-rental-car adventure, it seems the lesson most people learn circa 2nd semester of college has finally landed upon my brain.  The sporadic can only happen if the important is taken care of first.  


And all around, proverbial light bulbs burst into light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...