Thursday, January 31, 2013

Little Rituals


The moment I wake up in the morning, I recognize the song in my heart - remnants from the soundtrack of last night's dreams. I drink water, a Diet Coke, and prefer not to speak.

Every time I hug a friend or touch a stranger in greeting, I love how the shadows of the embrace linger after the release. Always fleeting, it is one of my favorite moments.

Before bed, I always wash my face before I brush my teeth, never the other way around.

Books surround me- mundane, seemingly meaningless bits of nostalgia mark pages read. Quotes of big and little significance are written in the notebook always nearby.

Hot teas in dainty cups settle the soul.

At night, I light candles and think about people I love. The quiet thoughts before sleep. Silent prayers.  Words said and unsaid sent in a hopeful wish, closing the day and ushering in the evening.

Our rituals. Make us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...