Friday, June 7, 2013

Oh to be a Righteous Babe...

{source}

Sometimes the itunes drifts back to a song that makes you stop in your tracks, close your eyes, smile quietly to yourself, and utter a smooth, serene, jubilant and oh so sincere -  "Hell Yeah."  

Dearest Ani, my college love.  The girl who inspired me to love white girl dreds and ballsy, subtle-yet-kinda-sorta-in-your-face tattoos.  The girl who inspired me to give a shit about politics, and to stop wearing makeup - mostly - for a year.  The girl who could make me laugh, cry, beat my pillow, scream, take in the moment,  and feel powerful as all hell in one song.  The girl who made me feel like moving across the world was no big thang.  The girl who reminded me that the worst of our experiences can be turned beautiful through art.  To expect the unexpected.  To strive for friendships and connections.  To stay true to myself, no matter what other people think.  Damn right.   

It has been a long time since I rocked out, dorm room style, to the folk singer.  I dare say I may have forgotten about her just a teensie bit.  


And they say goldfish have no memory/I guess their lives are much like mine/And the little plastic castle/Is a surprise every time... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...