Monday, September 16, 2013

Good Morning, Good Morning to You!

Morning person, I am not.  Given my druthers, I'd far prefer to enjoy an afternoon delight (I love lamp) than an early sunrise walk in the park.  But hungry girl?  Yes, yes I am.

I get up early each working day, cursing my alarms (plural, indeed), and bumble through my morning routine.  I like to think I'm the kind of girl who is going to eat breakfast every single day.  But let's be honest, I'm lucky to blunder my way to the car in a timely manner.  Since becoming a full-fledged adult I have learned many things about myself.  Not least of which:  if breakfast isn't ready and waiting for me, it doesn't get eaten.  And I am a girl who NEEDS her breakfast.

The solution?  The Breakfast Casserole Muffin.  It is tiny, and most tasty.  Not as whole foods friendly as I'd like, but according to the Weight Watchers' gods, it's downright good for you.  One of these days I shall sub out the processed stuff for real food, but today, we go for the recipe as written.  Either way, it is delightful, easy, and a fantastic start to the day.  Blundering notwithstanding.



Breakfast Casserole Muffins

2/3 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 onion, finely chopped
2 small cans sliced mushrooms (stems and pieces)
6 oz. Turkey sausage links (I prefer the Jimmy Dean variety, but do you)
1 T. parsley
olive oil (enough to coat your pan)
 1 small carton Egg Beaters (~1 3/4 cup)
1 c. milk
3 whole wheat English Muffins
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. freshly ground pepper

Spray two muffin tins with a generous amount of Pam.  (Don't be stingy.  If you don't spray enough the scrub-out process will last for.ever.)  Crumble up the English muffins to a fine crumb and divide evenly into the bottom of the muffin tins.  In a large saucepan, heat olive oil.  Saute onion and mushrooms until onions become translucent.  Add sausage links and cover until sausage is cooked through and onions are browned at their edges.  Crumble sausage, onion, and mushrooms together.  (I use a hand-held potato masher - works like a charm).  Remove from heat and layer sausage, onion, mushroom mixture evenly atop the English muffin crumbles.  In a medium-sized bowl, mix together egg beaters, milk, cheese and spices.  Evenly disperse the eggy goodness into the muffin tins.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 mins.  (I prefer my eggs a little bit browned, so I tend to go more toward the 25 min. mark).  Delicious served with crisp, green grapes and the breakfast beverage of your choice.  

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...